WVEA seeks to keep you apprised of policies the West Virginia Board of Education has on public comment. Your ability to provide the students in your classroom with the best education possible is impacted by the policies passed by the West Virginia Board of Education. We urge you to read the synopsis of proposed policy revisions listed below and respond to the WVDE with your comments.
The West Virginia Board of Education Currently has two policies open for public comment. They are open to comment until October 15 at 4:00 PM. You can read more about these policies here: http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/
This is a repeal and replace to reflect current meeting practices and protocols. This policy governs the notice and conduct of meetings of the West Virginia Board of Education.
This policy states the WVBE will meet at least six times a year where and when they decide. It may meet at other times as necessary, such meetings will be held upon its own resolution or at the call of the superintendent.
At its first regular meeting at the beginning of every fiscal year, the WVBE shall elect one of its members as president. That person can serve an unlimited amount of terms, but no more than two consecutive terms. A vice president will also be appointed, who can serve an unlimited amount of terms.
The WVBE will appoint a secretary who will keep a record of the proceedings of the board and perform other duties as needed. The secretary will electronically file a notice of each meeting with the Secretary of State for publication on their website and will post each notice on the WVBE website. Each notice will have the date, time, location and purpose of the meetings. It must appear in both places five business days before the meeting.
All members including the president and vice president can make and second motions. Any motion not receiving a second shall die. Open meetings may be recorded using an audio recording device.
At the discretion of the president, the WVBE may have a public comment period during a meeting, if the speaker’s comments pertain to an agenda item.
This policy has a number of language revisions proposed. The proposed revisions to Policy 5901 provide strategic guidance for West Virginia Educator Preparation Providers who prepare candidates to be eligible for licensure work in the public schools of the state.
- Alternative program partners and partnership agreements: Language edits to remove references to RESA and revising the type of certificate issued after completion of program to align with WVBE Policy 5202.
- Required components of an alternative certification program proposal: Language edits to remove references to RESA and revising the type of certificate issued after completion of program to align with WVBE Policy 5202.
- Candidate Eligibility: Language edits to revise the type of certificate issued after completion of program to align with WVBE Policy 5202. Language additions to reference 5202 regarding testing exemptions and clarifying that academic qualifications are required for general education program eligibility and not special education programs. Language clarifications of requirements for program enrollment and employment dates.
- Alternative Program Instruction and the professional support team: Language edits to remove the CPD reference, revising the type of certificate issued after completion of program to align with WVDE Policy 5202, and including a performance assessment. Language clarifies requirements for enrollment into alternative certification programs.
- Alternative certification licensure, comprehensive evaluation and rights of the teacher: Language clarifications revising the type of certificate issued after completion of program to align with WVBE Policy 5202.
- Alternative certification educator preparation program review board: Revisions to the ACEPPRB team composition as a result of the removal of the CPD and the department of Education and the Arts. Language clarifies when program proposal items must be submitted to the ACE PPRB.
- Additional rule and prohibited acts: Formatting changes are made to the location of information about prohibited acts and rules applicable to program implementation, employment, tuition and other charges. Clarifying language ensures that no alternative program teacher holding an alternative teaching certificate will displace a professional educator.
You can find a complete list of State Board policies at http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/