Policy 5202 was revised by the WVBE in July 2014. That revision contained the following:
- Per W.Va. Code 18-5-44(m), the Early Childhood Classroom Assistant Teacher Authorization is being added to policy.
- Through previous comments received, and as a result of stakeholder feedback, the Technology Integration Specialist Advanced Credential became a permanent credential.
- To address shortage areas, a teacher with a valid West Virginia teaching certificate is eligible to be awarded certification to teach in an additional area of certification upon submission of a passing score on the appropriate content area test required of other teachers for certification in that area, regardless of whether additional coursework was completed for this endorsement area. This should link back to our PRAXis page that we created.
- Language was added to require an applicant to provide additional documentation when applying for an endorsement for driver education.
- A permit was created that allows exchange/visiting teachers who are not U.S. citizens and are participating in a program or exchange recognized and/or approved by the WVDE/WVBE to receive a non-renewable permit.
- Appendix A (see WVBE Policy 5202) was revised to include grade level options for classroom assistant teachers.
- Minor edits are recommended to Appendix B (see WVBE Policy 5202) to ensure accurate PRAXIS exam scores are reflected.