For years, WVEA has been known for having the best representation in the education community. If you are a public school educator, support professional, student or substitute, employment protection is a must. Thousands of lawsuits are filed against education employees every year, and you need to know your legal rights. Who would you call if you had:
- An unfair dismissal hearing such as a non-renewal or termination?
- A dispute with your employer?
- Civil rights and constitutional claims?
WVEA Legal services are there to assist WVEA members with employment related disputes at no cost to the member. WVEA members also receive liability coverage as educators:
- Up to $1 million per occurrence for civil suits (other than civil rights issues or claims);
- $300,000 per occurrence for the defense of civil rights claims;
- $35,000 in reimbursements for defense of employment related criminal charges (in which the member is exonerated);
- Full reimbursement for the cost of defending corporal punishment, regardless of the outcome;
- $1,000 for a bail bond; and
- $500 for assault-related personal property damage
Additionally, members are entitled to two free 30-minute consultation sessions with an attorney in any membership year, as well as a 30 percent discount off the attorney’s regular hourly fee (in 5 core areas).