The West Virginia Education Association is seeking applications for the position of Field Services Director. Prior field experience as an organizer is a requirement for this position.
A letter of application, resume and three letters of recommendation required. This position will remain posted until filled. All correspondence should be addressed to:
David A. Haney
WVEA Executive Director
1558 Quarrier Street
Charleston, WV 25311
The Director of Field Services is a management position in the Headquarters office, Charleston, West Virginia. This person will be directly responsible to the Executive Director or Assistant Executive Director.
The Director of Field Services will play an expanding role in organizing for membership growth, rebuilding of local infrastructure and field services supervision. This position will have a dramatic impact on the future growth and development of WVEA.
The successful candidate will have to demonstrate knowledge of field organizing, local association development, problem-solving and employee relations as well as be able to plan, implement and supervise the membership organizing program. In addition, they must have the capacity to view the association from the perspective of an organizer, find ways to identify new leaders, build capacity in local associations and use data to make strategic decisions.
A successful candidate will have organizing experience and have experience in a field organizing capacity. The applicant must also have the ability to work long hours and the ability to work well under pressure.
General Assigments and Relationship
The person employed will plan, coordinate and direct seven regional field staff and operations to achieve the Association’s goals and objectives and to maximize membership growth in all levels (national, state and local) of the educational community.
- Supervise, instruct, coach and annually evaluate seven Organizational Development Specialists
- Develop, plan and coordinate the Association’s programs for membership and building effective locals.
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the Association’s programs for membership and building effective locals.
- Plan the development and implementation of programs to identify, recruit and train leaders/advocates and potential leaders/advocates of the Association.
- Plan, implement, supervise and evaluate the service deliver, organizing, training and membership development programs in the seven ODS regions.
- Assist in the identification of organizing issues and have the ability to develop detailed plans around those issues
- Assist the staff with school visits, developing and carrying out plans, and understanding their roles
- Spend time in the field with each of the staff in order to evaluate, assist/mentor and help in planning
- Function as part of the management team inclusive of attending regular meetings called by the Executive Director.
- Provide lobbying assistance where and when appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned…
- Master’s Degree desirable; Bachelor’s Degree required
- Successful experience in developing and implementing membership organizing program, including ESP, communications, public relations, grievance processing, arbitrations and negotiations
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement complex plans to recruit and retain members and develop and sustain effective local associations.
- Successful experience in personnel/program management desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good working knowledge of WVEA/NEA program and objectives
- Knowledge of training principles and techniques
- Prior staff experience required, preferably organizing experience
- Demonstrated ability to transmit information and knowledge to others in oral and written communications
- Basic computer and telecommunications skills
- Willing to relocate to the Charleston area
Commensurate with managerial staff, complete fringe benefits package including – 401K, dental, optical and medical insurance, disability coverage, life insurance, sick leave and vacation days.
WVEA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER